Idaho’s Top 5 Spots to Take a Sleigh Ride This Winter
It's almost winter, which means it's time for the powder to drop ❄️ Most of us have put away the flip-flops, mountain bikes, sundresses and short sleeves. The 2017 buzzword is COZY. We're just waiting for the slopes to fully open, snow tires, and ski passes! The tree lightings are done, Christmas lights hung, and now we await Santa!
I was just watching the movie Santa Clause and wondered if there was a place we could ride in a sleigh like Tim Allen.
I found Five! Are you ready for a winter sleigh ride? Grab some boots, thick coat, and cozy scarf for five spots to roll deep like the Claus Squad. We'll start in Garden Valley and head out through Sun Valley east to Victor, Idaho.
Garden Valley, Idaho (not to be confused with Garden City) - Is a one hour and 15 minute drive on West Chinden for about 54 miles.
Let's head North to Garden Valley for a nice sleigh ride on some beautiful spotted draft horses. Grab a group of friends, family, or office gathering singing your favorite Christmas songs. Feed, photograph and witness the beauty of Idaho up close and personal with some wild elk.
Get cozy afterward next to a warm fireplace with complimentary drinks and homemade meals slow cooked by Dutch Oven.
- Call for reservations 208.462.3416
- Office Hours 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Sleigh Rides $25
- Sleigh Rides + Lunch $40
- Dutch Oven Dinner Ride + Live Music $70
- Large Private Sleigh Ride (12 people) $250
Sun Valley, Idaho - This trip takes you to the North East from Boise about 2 1/2 hours away.
Sun Valley is host to some of the biggest celebrities and entertainers including the Sun Valley Film Festival. Take one of these sleigh rides across a beautiful scenic experience available December through March. Enjoy the rustic winter oasis at Trail Creek Cabin and witness amazing foods from local cuisines.
- Call for reservations 208.622.2135
- Rides last 30 minutes.
- Food/rides available.
Donnelly, Idaho - Head straight North on Highway 55 for about 2 hours and 96 miles.
It's the Hap and Florence Points Sleigh Rides! Take this scenic Gold Fork River tour with this once-in-a-lifetime interactive experience with a herd of wild elk. Take these sleigh horse-drawn rides for the ultimate Idaho setting like Santa (we'll keep you grounded.)
- Call for reservations 208.325.8783
- The trip to visit the elk last approximately an hour.
- Bring snacks for the kids along the ride.
- Don't forget a camera for this memorable experience.
Sandpoint, Idaho - Head North about 8 hours and 502 miles away.
Western Pleasure Guest Ranch host these Winter sleigh rides. Enjoy this ride and bundle up for a sleigh ride through a dense, snow-capped forest in the foothills of the Cabinet Mountains. Bring your SUV to take home a locally grown, beautifully cut Christmas Tree! You can start your own family tradition.
- Call for reservations 208.263.9066
- $25 adults.
- $20 ages 6-12
- Kids under 5 free.
- Country Gourmet available in a dinner package including cozy lounge experience next to a fire with warm drinks.
Victor, Idaho - This is about a 5-hour drive to the East and about 345 miles.
Linn Canyon Ranch will be the host of our final Sleigh Ride visit. This ride will give you a front row seat through snow-covered fields set against the Teton mountain range. Keep an eye out for the Instagram moments surrounded by mountains and wildlife. Enjoy appetizers, drinks and warm up next to the fireplace with a gourmet dinner!
- Call for reservation 208.787.5466
- A few hours from Yellowstone National Park and 45 minutes away from Jackson Hole.
- This ranch also hosts the Timber Frame Cabin and Luxury Tents.
- Stay for a day, sunset tour or indulge for a few days.