Former Boise State Bronco and Detroit Lion receiver Titus Young has moved closer to a jury trial where he faces up to nine years in prison.

Young entered a plea of not guilty to four counts of battery Tuesday in Compton, California earlier this month where he was arraigned on felony information, which are the charges the prosecutor was able to prove in the preliminary hearing. Young's next court appearance will be a pretrial hearing Jan. 13.

Young faces 3 misdemeanor counts of battery and one felony count of battery with serious bodily injury.

On July 14, Young pleaded not guilty to the felony charge, as well as to the other misdemeanor counts of battery that prosecutors said had occurred since May 28.
According to Carlos Monarrez at The Detroit Free Press, the felony charge stems from an incident that occurred July 8, according to a Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department arrest report that detailed Young's meeting with his then-lawyer, Brian Hurwitz.

The Following is an excerpt from the Detroit Free Press:
The report — obtained through a California Freedom of Information Act request filed by the Free Press — states that Young and his family were meeting with Hurwitz at an address that corresponds with Martin Luther King Jr. Harbor Hospital in Los Angeles. Young became angry and attacked Hurwitz when Hurwitz told him that he was not being released from the medical facility.
According to the report, Young "stood up from his chair and punched (Hurwitz) several times to his face. After being punched by (Young), (Hurwitz) said he lost consciousness. After regaining consciousness, (Hurwitz) said he was bleeding profusely from his nose and that his nose was swollen and felt broken. He also had pain to his forehead and jaw area."
Hurwitz was treated by paramedics and taken to another hospital. According to the report, Young "was asleep due to medication given to him by hospital staff" when police compiled their report.

Young faces 11 other criminal counts in Orange County.