Sleelheads Welcome Kansas City
The Idaho Steelheads (12-9-3) will host the Kansas City Mavericks for a trio of games this week following a split at home against the Utah Grizzlies over the weekend.
Here's a recap of the Friday-Saturday series with Utah..
Friday, December 7 vs. Utah Grizzlies: 4-2 W
Shots: Grizzlies 33, Steelheads 32
PP: Grizzlies 0-for-2, Steelheads 0-for-1
The Steelheads extended their win streak to four games with a 4-2 win from CenturyLink Arena. After an opening Grizzlies goal, Steelheads defenseman Colton Saucerman (7:49 1st) tied the game on a one-time shot before forward Elgin Pearce (13:15 2nd) gave the Steelheads their first lead, 2-1. The Grizzlies tied the game one minute later, but the Steelheads answered with two more goals from forwards Kyle Schempp (7:01 3rd) and Steve McParland (EN, 18:38 3rd) to take the 4-2 win. Tomas Sholl (7-3-0) halted 31 of 33 shots in the win.
Saturday, December 8 vs. Utah Grizzlies: 5-1 L
Shots: Grizzlies 36, Steelheads 31
PP: Grizzlies 0-for-4, Steelheads 1-for-6
The Steelheads split their two-game weekend with a 5-1 loss on Saturday night. Following a Grizzlies goal to open the game, forward Reid Petryk (PP, 10:00 1st) tied the game at 1-1 before the end of the period. However, the Grizzlies opened the lead and secured the win, 5-1, with four more goals. Tomas Sholl (7-4-0) stopped 31 of 36 shots in the loss.
Wednesday, December 12 vs. Kansas City Mavericks – 7:10 p.m. MT
Friday, December 14 vs. Kansas City Mavericks – 7:10 p.m. MT
Saturday, December 15 vs. Kansas City Mavericks – 7:10 p.m. MT
The Steelheads welcome the Kansas City Mavericks for the first and only meeting at CenturyLink Arena this season for a three-game weekend. The Steelheads and Mavericks play a six-game season series this year after just two games last season at CenturyLink Arena, during which the Steelheads won back-to-back 3-2 overtime results. The two sides have played six times since the ECHL/CHL merger with the Steelheads taking a 4-2-0 record before doubling that game total this season.
- Reid Petryk has points in five of his last six games, notching six points (4g, 2a) in that span
- Before his call-up to the AHL, Colton Saucerman set a team-high five-game point streak with six points (2g, 4a)
- Midway through their nine-game home stand, the Steelheads own a 3-1-0-0 record and have wins in seven of their last nine games
- The Steelheads penalty kill is now perfect in five-straight games (17 attempts) and nine of their last 10 games, going 36-for-37 (97.3%) in that span since November 14 and moving from 23rd to 4th in the ECHL
GOALS: 10 – Steve McParland
ASSISTS: 11 – A.J. White
POINTS: 19 – Steve McParland
PP GOALS: 3 – Reid Petryk
SH GOALS: 1 – McClure/McParland/Parizek/Saucerman/Schempp
GW GOALS: 3 – Brad McClure
PIMS: 116 – Kale Kessy
PLUS/MINUS: +9 – Steve McParland
SHOTS: 88 – Steve McParland
WINS: 7 – Tomas Sholl
GAA: 2.06 – Tomas Sholl
SAVE %: .931 – Tomas Sholl
Mountain Division Standings:
1. Utah 14-4-3-1, 32 pts
2. Utah 13-6-3-2, 31 pts
3. Kansas City 14-5-1-1, 30 pts
4. Steelheads 12-9-1-2, 27 pts
5. Rapid City 11-11-2-2, 27 pts
6. Wichita 11-9-3-1, 26 pts
7. Allen 6-18-0-2, 14 pts